We are honored to partner with vendors who are doing great things to help our environment, including its inhabitants. Here are just a few of those vendors and some examples of their initiatives.
Cargill is working to nourish the world in a safe, responsible and sustainable way. Their priorities include:
- Land Use: Protecting forests and promoting sustainable agriculture.
- Climate Change: Reducing impact while helping farmers adapt to a changing climate.
- Water Resources: Addressing the need to conserve water, improve water quality and promote access to clean water.
- Farmer Livelihoods: Partnering with farmers to increase productivity and strengthen rural communities.
- Food Security: Increasing productivity and improving access to sustainably nourish the world.
- Nutrition: Ensuring that people around the world have access to safe, nutritious and affordable food.
Dart's drive for efficiency has led to remarkable achievements in product stewardship and minimizing their carbon footprint. Their three-faceted environmental strategy includes ongoing efforts to:
- Maximize efficiency in the materials and processes they use.
- Promote the environmental attributes of their products.
- Research and develop new materials, products and technologies that further reduce their energy usage and carbon footprint and promote recycling through the use of recycled content and utilizing renewable resources.
Earth Friendly Products has spent nearly 50 years creating and perfecting thoughtfully-sourced cleaners that work great and are safer for people and the planet. Their products are manufactured using Zero-Waste guidelines and made in facilities powered by renewable energy.
- Air: All five of their manufacturing facilities are carbon neutral, protecting from exposure to over 50 million pounds of carbon dioxide annually.
- Land: Zero Waste Platinum certified at all five manufacturing facilities, which means they have diverted 95% of their waste from landfills through reducing, reusing and recycling.
- Water: Every product is readily biodegradable, pH balanced, greywater safe and septic safe, and they conserve water through their manufacturing processes and office practices.
Eco-Products’ strategic objective is to advance their position as a leader in sustainability and Zero Waste through a reimagined approach to foodservice packaging. Each year, they set goals and disclose their progress in a report. They also consult with their Sustainability Advisory Committee, industry leaders and their own employees and customers among others on steps they should be taking to operate more responsibly and sustainably. Additionally, they look to global initiatives and practices for guidance on their journey.
General Mills’ sustainability mission is to treat the world with care. Their focus areas include:
- Climate Change: Committed to combating climate change across their value chain.
- Water Stewardship: Advancing sustainability of water use for their farmers and operations.
- Sustainable Sourcing: Committed to sustainably sourcing their 10 priority ingredients by 2020.
- Ecosystems: Committed to improving the health of ecosystems in their supply chain.
- Human Rights: Respect for human rights is fundamental to their company’s purpose and values.
- Animal Welfare: Support the humane treatment of animals in agriculture.
Genpak has worked very hard to provide products that are recyclable, use recycled content, are source reduced and are compostable. They are committed to looking for new ways to offer truly sustainable products. They also proudly sponsor and participate in local events and beautification programs.
Sustainability comes naturally to people at Georgia-Pacific. Not only do their products help improve people’s lives but Georgia-Pacific also operates in ways that enhance the quality of life in their communities, help ensure the economic stability of their company and help protect environmental resources. They focus on three key areas to make this happen – people, nature and the market. They try to find the right balance among these three dimensions in every decision they make.
- People: Develop trusted relationships and engage with their communities and with the people who make and buy their products.
- Nature: Value future needs by using resources efficiently, making products responsibly and being stewards of the environment.
- Market: Create preferred solutions by providing products and services their customers and consumers want and come back for.
Hoffmaster is committed to the goals of sustainable development, recycling of paper products and promoting responsible resource management and use. To help achieve these goals, on May 31, 2012, Hoffmaster received an independent Certificate of Registration to the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) Certified Sourcing Label Requirements.
Every day, Kellogg employees work together to fulfill their vision of enriching and delighting the world through foods and brands that matter.
- Nourishing: Inspired by their food beliefs, support health and well-being, increase transparency, ensure food quality and safety and market responsibly.
- Feeding People: Fight hunger through school breakfast clubs and employee volunteerism while supporting charitable organizations.
- Nurturing the Planet: Protect the long-term availability of the ingredients they use and the livelihoods of the people who grow them.
- Living Values: Operate ethically, protect human rights and embrace diversity and inclusion.
From their quality controls to the relationships they have with their growers and suppliers, Kraft Heinz is committed to responsible, sustainable practices extending to every facet of their business.
- Environment: Implemented a universal process to achieve sustainability goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, energy consumption, solid landfill waste and water consumption.
- Animal Welfare: Expect suppliers to adhere to certain standards and treat animals with care, understanding and respect.
- Sustainable Health of People: Through partnerships with Rise Against Hunger and Feeding America, they have provided more than 2 billion servings of food to those in need.
When it comes to the environment and precious natural resources, Lamb Weston’s philosophy is to minimize their impact and leave the smallest footprint possible. When it comes to the communities in which they operate, their goal is precisely the opposite. They want to have as great a positive impact as they possibly can. In the towns where Lamb Weston is located, employees are passionately involved in making a difference – both as representatives of the company and as residents of the community. Their environmental stewardship includes:
- Energy Efficiency: With two LEED® certifications and seven U.S. EPA ENERGY STAR® certifications, Lamb Weston is among the most energy-efficient companies in the industry.
- Materials Management: Fourteen Lamb Weston plants were named Zero Waste Champions for diverting more than 95% of solid waste from landfills.
- Sustainable Agriculture: Agriculture Services Department works year-round with growers to ensure sustainable and responsible farming practices.
- Water Resources: Lamb Weston's goal is to reduce water use by 20% per pound.
- Supply Chain: Sustainability efforts extend across the entire supply chain, from procurement all the way through transportation.
Lyons is committed to maintaining business practices that meet the needs of the present generation without compromising the future generation’s ability to meet its needs. As environmental awareness has grown over recent decades, Lyons has embraced the challenge to operate using business practices based on sustainable models. They focus on:
- People: Develop and implement company policies, procedures, training and internal reporting structures to ensure commitment to good labor practices.
- Environmental Responsibilities: Focus includes solid waste management, water, energy, packaging and transportation.
- Social Responsibilities: When possible, Lyons makes a concerted effort to purchase raw materials and supplies from local suppliers and companies. In addition, they provide corporate sponsorships for local sports teams and nonprofit fundraisers as well as many other worthy causes.
McCain supports their local communities, environment and employees. Sustainability is at the center of what they do, not just because it’s good business but because they care about the people they impact today and for years to come.
McCormick is equally dedicated to strengthening their business and improving the world around them, an approach they call Purpose-led Performance (PLP). Key highlights include McCormick’s commitments to:
- Source 100% of branded iconic ingredients sustainably;
- Increase the livelihoods of 90% of smallholder farmers who grow McCormick’s iconic herbs and spices;
- Champion equality for women and people of color in leadership, and empower women farmers across the company’s supply chain; and
- Reduce the company’s environmental impact by lowering its carbon footprint, decreasing water use, reducing solid waste and developing sustainable packaging innovations.
Multi-Clean is committed to be a leader in sustainability and green cleaning in their industry. Their goal is to make the prospect of transitioning to green cleaning easier. They have products and resources that result in more efficient, effective and sustainable cleaning practices.
From the purchasing of raw materials through the delivery of finished products, Pactiv continually assesses the environmental impact of their actions, providing information through comprehensive Life Cycle Inventory Studies and adopting processes that minimize energy consumption, emissions and waste. Their sustainability efforts are focused on three key areas:
- Energy: Strive to reduce their energy footprint, both internally and externally.
- Source: Committed to exploring the use of alternative resources and recycled materials, including post-consumer material.
- Waste: Working closely with suppliers and recycling services, Pactiv recycles over 90 percent of their plastic manufacturing scrap as well as aluminum, corrugated boxes and corrugated, scrap metal and other plastic scrap waste.
Rich’s family values are brought to life through all aspects of the company, including:
- Cherishing Culture: Work, learn and celebrate together.
- Innovation: Imagine what’s possible and create what’s valued.
- Being the Trusted First Choice: Listen, understand and deliver for customers like no other company.
- Bettering Communities: Devote time and talent where Rich’s employees work and live.
- Doing What’s Right: No matter what.
Rubbermaid is committed to continuing to learn and act as a responsible steward of the environment. They have dedicated themselves to creating more products that support sustainability. They have further invested in better processes and technology that have a lower environmental impact. Perhaps most importantly, they have dedicated themselves to sharing their learnings in these areas with customers and end-users so that they can further their sustainability initiatives.
Smithfield is committed to making sustainability and transparency a mandatory goal – from pledging to have the utmost care for and ensuring the well-being of their animals, to an unyielding respect for the environment, to doing everything possible to reduce their carbon footprint. Their focuses are on:
- Animal Care: Committed to keeping animals safe, comfortable and healthy.
- Employees: Strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
- Environment: Leverage Smithfield’s environmental management systems and supplier relationships to encourage efficiency up and down their supply chain.
- Food Safety & Quality: Food safety starts on the farm, where they have rigorous systems in place to raise healthy animals. It continues at the processing plants, where they follow meticulous and exacting procedures that allow them to produce the safest products.
- Helping Communities: Smithfield places great importance on their connection to the communities where their employees work and live as well as takes seriously their responsibility to keep those communities strong.
- Value Creation: Smithfield believes that financial stability and sustainability go hand in hand and has systematically embedded sustainable practices and principles throughout their operations.
Since the beginning of 2017, Tyson’s been talking about their new purpose, which is raising the world’s expectations for how much good food can do. Tyson strives to be honorable and operate with integrity, be faith-friendly and inclusive, serve as stewards of the resources entrusted to them and provide a safe work environment. They will achieve their strategy of sustainably feeding the world by:
- Growing their business through differentiated capabilities.
- Delivering ongoing financial fitness through continuous improvement.
- Sustaining their company and the world for future generations.
Valley Meats is committed to being a responsible corporate citizen. This statement encompasses many goals, principles and priorities. These include a commitment to the highest levels of professional integrity and honesty, customer service and satisfaction, product quality and innovation. Their number one priority is food safety. They strive to have the best food safety systems and procedures in the industry. They are also committed to conducting their business in a sustainable manner. They believe that sustainability balances environmental, social and economic considerations. They also promise to continually strive to research and implement the best practices in the meat industry.
- Food Safety: Strive to be a leader in food safety, committed to providing safe food every time and everywhere.
- Environmental Stewardship and Efficient Resource Utilization: Seek to run every facet of their business in a sustainable manner in order to conserve the environment and minimize their impact upon it.
- Employee Welfare and Development: Believe that properly compensated, trained and motivated employees are their greatest asset.
Ventura Foods has a long-standing commitment to being a responsible corporate citizen. Their approach is built around three pillars:
- Products: Committed to bringing the very best products to their customers, ensuring that products are produced safely and sourced sustainably.
- People: Strive to ensure the well-being of their employees, foster an inclusive environment and support the local communities where they operate.
- Planet: Eliminating the waste they generate and reducing the water and energy they use.
Wayne Farms’ approach to delivering exceptional products allows control of the entire process, assuring strict product quality and food safety from the farm to the kitchen. At the same time, their emphasis is on the greater good as they seek to make a positive impact on those around them. By ensuring safe operations for their staff, partnering with local communities and building trust with their customers, they hope to be exemplary leaders in doing the right thing. They take care in the following areas:
- Animal Welfare: It is their moral and ethical responsibility to provide the best care possible to their animals.
- Food Safety & Quality: Implements strong food safety and quality practices from their farms to their customers' facilities.
- People Welfare & Safety: Create a work environment that fosters learning, growth and career advancement and strive for a safe atmosphere that promotes collaboration, respect and acceptance, with zero tolerance for discriminating or harassing behaviors.
- Environmental Stewardship: Committed to seeking new ways to help minimize their overall carbon footprint by reducing water usage and waste, heightening energy efficiencies and much more.
- Community Involvement: Partner in their communities to donate time and money in support of a wide range of humanitarian agencies, such as United Way, American Cancer Society and Special Olympics. They also encourage and sponsor local involvement of their plant personnel in activities such as Relay for Life and WalkAmerica, volunteer emergency services fundraisers and food donation efforts.
Wells holds themselves responsible to improving lives and communities. As a result, they have unmatched standards for food and employee safety, responsibly-sourced milk and charitable donations.
- Food Safety: Facilities have been awarded Level 3 Safe Quality Foods (SQF) certification, the highest level awarded by the SQF Institute. Wells also has a running track record of auditor recognition for strong Quality and Food Safety programs, and they monitor their production environments for pathogens and follow robust sanitation processes.
- Responsible Sourcing: Products are manufactured in a sustainable manner to responsibly protect and conserve the environment. They strive to understand, monitor and reduce their impact by working smarter and more efficiently and examining their use and distribution of energy expended through daily operations in transportation, byproduct management, production and improving efficiencies in all facets of their company. Wells continually pursues a more sustainable value chain and is committed to environmental sustainability.
- Charitable Commitments: Wells supports nonprofit community organizations each year through monetary contributions, sponsorships and product donations.
World Centric tries their best to do their part in sustainability – in the products they sell, how they run their business, what they do with their profits and the values they hold. Their efforts include:
- Carbon Footprint: Partner with grassroots environmental and social organizations whose programs not only offset carbon emissions but also create sustainable livelihoods.
- Donate: Give at least 25% of their profits to create social and environmental sustainability.
- Discounts: Provide a 20% discount to schools and non-profits and offer compostable lunch trays at cost to schools to replace Styrofoam trays.
- Manufacturing Audits: Regularly audit outsourced factories under Fair Labor Association guidelines to ensure fair wages and working conditions for workers.
- Zero Waste: Strive to be a zero-waste office. A proud member of the U.S. Zero Waste Business Council.
Dish! is a magazine where you can find trends, tips, products, ideas, savings, tools and much more. Look for both general foodservice topics and content specific to your segment.